A Matter of Balance: A Woman's Quest for Health, Harmony & Kick-ass Heels


Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Standing the test of time


Beth and I at our  First Communion, May, 1973, Our Lady of Joy parish.

Beth & I in Sand Diego, August, 2010

Today I want to give a Happy Birthday shout out to my oldest friend, Beth Phelan Stokes.  She looks good for being my oldest friend, doesn't she?

Having a friend for 42 (yes, I said 42!) years is a pretty amazing feat. At least I think it is.   We met when we were four and ready to head to kindergarten. 

We have known one another through many Barbies, boyfriends and major life events.

We were in sixth grade when my family moved out of state and over the course of our friendship we've collectively lived in many different states.   While we don't get to see one another often, and stay in touch with an occasional phone call, email, or Facebook update, she remains a dear and cherished friend and when we get together it's like no time has passed.

Don't get me wrong, maintaining a 42 year friendship is an investment of time and effort.  For probably 30 years we wrote letters (you remember those, you put a stamp on 'em and drop them in that blue thing?).  Our friendship continued long before the age of the internet and quick, easy text messages.

I'm still a big fan of the old fashioned, hand-written letter. 
  
But today's convenient and abundant methods of staying in touch are at our finger tips and it makes it easier than ever to continue to cultivate the important relationships in our lives. 


The only thing is that you still have to take action to make it happen, or as the old commercial said "reach out and touch someone."

I'm planning to give Beth a call in the next few days., and I'm sure it will be just like old times.






No comments: