A Matter of Balance: A Woman's Quest for Health, Harmony & Kick-ass Heels


Thursday, June 21, 2012

More Soul, Less Proprietor

 
Image from http://exp.lore.com; available on estsy

Today's guest blog post is from  fellow entrepreneur, Jane Pollack.   I love Jane's plan of consciously choosing to nurture her soul. It's not just entrepreneurs that need to take this time to re-evaluate priorities.  We can all use some of that. Even if you can't take a whole month, look for the space you can carve out.  I have long admired Jane's creativity and talent, but even more, I appreciate her ability to make self-care a priority.  I believe it's crucial to her success, and by applying the same practice to our own lives, we will experience a richer, more balanced life as well.  

More Soul, Less Proprietor

 

Like many of you, I’ve been going through major transitions in the last couple of years. The economy has definitely impacted my business, and my personal life has also changed substantially. My long-term marriage came to an end, and a new relationship is beginning to blossom. I changed residences, took on new responsibilities and let go of others.

I’m finding that it’s time for me to re-evaluate my own priorities by using a coaching tool I offer every new client. It’s  called the Wheel of Life, and it allows me to see a snapshot of what’s working and what isn’t working in the areas of career, money, physical environment, significant other/romance, personal development, family and friends, fun and recreation and health.
 
The idea of the wheel is to rank each of these categories, notice where the gaps are between where you are and where you’d like to be, and how evenly distributed these areas of your life are. How smooth is the ride if your career is at a 6, but your health is at a 3?

In looking at my own Wheel of Life, I realize that I’m now choosing to focus more on fun and recreation and romance than any of the other pie pieces. As many of you have recently reflected back to me, I’ve been operating at a high level of self-sufficiency and can take my foot off the gas for awhile and still have plenty of forward momentum. That’s what I’m consciously choosing to do.

I have decided to take the month of July off from marketing, webinars, blogging and networking. I’m going to be quiet, relax, hike, spend time in nature and swing in a hammock during this time. I’m going to vacation with my kids for several days.

I’ll be attending the Kushi Macrobiotic Conference again (my 5th time) and will use the rest of the month to relax, swim, read and pore through old journals for inspiration and instruction. I’m going to watch grass grow and spend time doing nothing.

I often recommend this to my own clients. Now the coach is taking her own prescription and trusting that the Universe wants exactly that from me–to do nothing and allow it to manifest whatever is next. There’s a heap of trust involved in letting go to this extent, but I’m crystal clear that it’s what I need to do.

I’m looking forward to a busy June and an August that is full of promises for the fall. I know I’ll return to my office renewed and reinvigorated. You can expect a full report (after a month of silence) when I get back.

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.” ~Rumi

Learn more about Jane and her business at http://www.janepollak.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

9 more days and counting! I'm as excited as a kid when the school year ends. I've got vacation plans AND unplanned days for the Universe to fill in.

Thanks so much for sharing this with your followers.