A Matter of Balance: A Woman's Quest for Health, Harmony & Kick-ass Heels


Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Musings from the Berkshires

Photo from http://www.ruth-writes.com/

Last week I made my annual visit to Kripalu which although was long overdue and far too short, was still relaxing and thought provoking.

Here are a few of the lessons and reminders I brought home with me.
Photo from http://www.ruth-writes.com/
  • Create peace & harmony in your heart  - Even 48 hours of R&R can help to create some space in your life and consequently in your mind and body.
  • Allow healing to occur  - When I'm feeling burnt out, both physically and mentally, as I was prior to this trip, I am reminded from the moment I arrive that we need to allow time for healing. 
  • Let it in and go with the moment - As usual I had far too many expectations and plans for this brief 48 hours.  In addition to the wonderful workshops and yoga classes, I had plenty of reading, writing in my journal, walking, napping, and who knows what else in mind.  Sometimes you just have to GO with the moment and allow things to unfold.
  • Laugh for no reason - I took a wonderful Laughter Yoga workshop with one of my favorite Kripalu presenters Evelyn Gonzalez.   It took me out of my comfort zone for sure! I still laugh every time I think about it.  It is a good reminder for me to lighten up!
  • "Keep the Kripalu"  - This is a phrase that pops into my head every time I'm driving home from my visit.  What can I do to keep this feeling going?  Mediate more?  Make some nuts and berries for lunch?   Finally master the crow pose? 
    I don't think so.  The real lesson is to continue to make micro-movements toward balance and bring mindfulness off the mat.  After all yoga without the breath and mindfulness is just stretching.  It's what we practice moment to moment that counts.

Namaste!

Note: I came to this lovely blog www.ruth-writes.com via the Kripalu Facebook page.  She captured some beautiful images on her stay.   I "borrowed" two of the wonderful Labryinth which I love to wander through.  Check out Ruth's blog for more gorgeous Kripalu scenes.

No comments: