A Matter of Balance: A Woman's Quest for Health, Harmony & Kick-ass Heels


Friday, December 23, 2011

How big can the regret be?



Yesterday I enjoyed a lovely lunch in Manhattan with three super classy, smart women. I met them in the mid 90's when our paths intersected professionally, and I have been mentored by them (whether they realized it or not) both professionally and personally, and looked to them as role models ever since. 

While individually we may see one another more often, it's been ten years since all four of us have sat down together. 

Of course given the rarity of the occasion, the nature of the season, and the fact that at least three of us were off that day, Cindy suggested a glass of wine, and Rose and I quickly gave our seal of approval. 

Polly debated (she was not the one going back to work, and for the record, neither was I ), not sure if a glass of wine in the middle of the day would make her too tired. 

Rose immediately asked, " How big could the regret be?"


Well, that sold Polly on a glass of wine, and it really stuck with me. 

How often do I hem and haw about something, wasting precious time and energy? Sure some decisions require careful deliberation, because the regret could potentially be significant. I'm weighting one of those types of decisions right now in fact.

But a lot of decisions are given far more mental energy and pondering than necessary. I'm going to make that question a regular part of my decision making and thought process. 

Why just this morning my mind is whirling with the usual dilemmas. Take time to go to yoga or not? Serve salmon on Christmas Eve or a different fish? Pick up the bread today or wait until the craziness of tomorrow morning? And the mind chatter continues to roll. 

As I traveled home from this beautiful gathering, I realized once again being in the presence of these women inspires and teaches me. 

And the only big regret, we all agreed, would be not making time to get together more often. - 

No comments: