A Matter of Balance: A Woman's Quest for Health, Harmony & Kick-ass Heels


Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Christmas traditions: old & new




The holidays are a time where we bring out the traditions.  Things we've done since we were little, traditions that were born as a result of a marriage or having children, and then new traditions that emerge, sometimes accidentally.

Last night was a wonderful evening which included a fairly new tradition.  First I enjoyed a delish dinner at the Abbazia's (cooked by the big guy, Frankie himself).  After dinner we went on to what is becoming an annual event,  a drive to see the light show at the home of Paul Tudor Jones.  

This is the third year Pina & I have ventured out, hot chocolate in hand, to soak in the holiday ambiance (and the second year her wonderful daughter Danielle has joined us).  If you haven't seen it ,here's a glimpse at last year's display  but I think this year's is even better.

There's always great conversation such as Danielle's creative ideas for inventions, fashion, and  last night  veered into the topic of our favorite (and least favorite) Christmas carols.

I shared that one of my favorites is  "Do You Hear What I Hear?"


"Do You Hear What I Hear?" was written in October 1962 with lyrics by Noël Regney and music by Gloria Shayne Baker .  The pair were married at the time, and wrote it as a plea for peace during the Cuban Missile Crisis.
One of my favorite old traditions was heading to the Elms Inn in Ridgefield every Christmas season to hear Noël sing his classic song. For years my musical theater pals and I frequented the Elms to sip a drink and to sing along side Noel as he tickled the ivories.  

He always played our favorite show tunes and let us take the spotlight,  but at Christmastime,  when it came to the song made famous by Bing Crosby, it was his turn to shine.  He was known more for his piano prowess than his vocal stylings, but somehow this one was all his.

I get chills thinking back on it now.   

Christmas traditions old and new....it's all good!

No comments: