A Matter of Balance: A Woman's Quest for Health, Harmony & Kick-ass Heels


Wednesday, September 14, 2011

When does busyness end and balance begin?



There has been a lot of tough stuff happening the past few weeks. My Facebook inbox is filled with a few dozen messages about difficult times rather than the usual routine chit chat from friends and clients.

Sending prayer requests to my Cursillo community has become a daily occurrence.

Sunday we reflected and remembered and recalled how our priorities shifted along with the NYC skyline. But how has that translated into our week just three days later?

I often refer back to these questions from author and coach, Cheryl Richardson, just to keep myself in check:
  • If this were my last hour on earth, would I be happy with how I've spent my time today, this week, or this year?
  • Would I feel good about the priorities I'm focused on right now at this point in my life?
  • Do I feel complete and at peace with the people who matter most?

I think I can answer a strong yes to each of those questions, but I need to continue to ask them. It's so easy to get drawn off course.

Today's been jam packed and I look back at the day so far....teach a class, cover the desk for the remaining classes, participate on a conference call, finish a marketing project, write a blog post, a physical therapy appointment,  a hair appointment (like I said priorities!), prepare for a charity walk where I've volunteered to do the warm up, and get ready for a meeting and presentation in Rhode Island.   Am I happy with how I've spent my time? 

Actually yes. It always feels good to be productive.  But when does busyness end and balance begin? 

There's a small business meeting I could/should/had planned to attend later this evening,  but if I'm really listening to what I need, I think I'll be ready to hang out with my hubby and chat and then curl up and watch my latest Netflix (High Society - can't believe I've never seen it!).  Ah, I feel more relaxed already.

What do YOU need right now?



No comments: