A Matter of Balance: A Woman's Quest for Health, Harmony & Kick-ass Heels


Thursday, January 28, 2010

Connecting



This year instead of making a long list of resolutions I won't keep, I created an intention for several different areas:
  • Health
  • Career
  • Money
  • Significant Other
  • Family & Friends
  • Fun & Recreation
  • Environment
  • Personal Growth
This idea came from a goal setting teleclass from the wonderful Lorin Beller (hopefuly you'll see Lorin here as a Guest Blogger soon!). Then I had a great half day Mastermind Session with my pals Barbara & Beth where we got out the colored markers and poster board to brainstorm and plan for the year. I thought sharing some of these intentions and the actions I plan to take around them might provide some food for thought. So let's take Family & Friends ('cause that's an easy one!). My intention in this area is Connection . To me that means actively connecting with family and friends, spending quality time together and nurturing the relationships in other ways as well. Seems simple. But do we REALLY take the time to nurture these essential relationships in our lives? Here's how the connections have evolved lately:
  • Meeting my golf buddies Helen & Cathy for a great evening enjoying fondue
  • Keeping up with my dear friend Melissa who lives in Raleigh on Facebook everyday
  • Having a Sunday family dinner with my hubby's family
  • Eating lunch with my mom before going to volunteer at the Soup Kitchen (a monthly ritual)
  • Having an email exchange with an out-of-town friend to catch up
  • Calling my grandfather to chat on Sunday
  • A fantastic evening with my Jazzercise community for our annual Breast Cancer Fundraiser
  • Writing a thank you note to a friend (see Pina & connecting at the Fundraiser above)
  • Spending time with my family and going with my nephew to see Blues Clues
  • TRYING to schedule lunch with another dear friend who I don't see too often (still working on that one!)
Some of these things are simple and require little time & effort. Social Media outlets like Facebook can make keeping up with folks very easy (almost too easy sometimes, right?).

What's your intention with the special people in your life? And if you're desiring more connection, how will you connect today?

No comments: