A Matter of Balance: A Woman's Quest for Health, Harmony & Kick-ass Heels


Sunday, July 29, 2012

A new meaning to the order 'low maintenance'




Shop near my hut


My closet

I could really go for a hot shower right now. But I didn't order any hot water this morning. It's as simple as placing a call and it will be delivered to my room in a bucket. Not quite what we're accustomed to in the states, but this is a five star hotel in Ghana and that's how they roll here.

It gives a new meaning of low maintenance. Forget the hair dryer or the flat iron (what the heck was I thinking ?). DEET has become the new fragrance and a bottle of Purell the most fashionable accessory.

I've always considered myself to be low maintenance. I've worked in Appalachia where showers could not be taken daily, and pitched my tent on top of ants while rafting down the Colorado River.

I'm not a stranger to roughing it, but this is truly an eye opening experience. When you see the devastating level of poverty people live at on a daily basis somehow the flat iron looses its importance.





Yesterday's tour of two slave castles was humbling, numbing, and draining. Perspective. Reflection. Discussion. We absorbed it all.

Still I may just order that bucket of water for later.







- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: