A Matter of Balance: A Woman's Quest for Health, Harmony & Kick-ass Heels


Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Making excuses or making plans?

I  know a lot of smart interesting women. It's a fact that amazes me every day.  So, I thought what better way to highlight them, than to ask for the honor of sharing their wisdom right here.  I'll be inviting folks to contribute guest blog posts each week. 

The thought came to me when reading Lisa Corrado's recent blog post.  I was hooked by the title and immediately wished I had thought to write about the concept, but then I decided, hey, why not find a way to share the love! 

Thanks Lisa!  And enjoy....

 

Making Excuses or Making Plans?

I saw this cartoon posted on a friend’s Facebook wall this week. It’s funny because it’s true: we claim to be too busy to take care of our health, but the alternative is being dead 24 hours a day.
Sadly, I see too many examples of this: people who wait too long to address medical concerns. They don’t act until they’re in medical crisis, and many times, it’s too late to regain their health.

My biggest fear is realizing I waited too long to take the best care possible of myself. That I allowed flimsy excuses to take the place of actually doing the work, therefore I don’t get to live my life on my terms. Let’s call it the fear of regretting. Nothing motivates me more than the fear of regretting.
So I eat right. And I’ve learned to love it, craving the healthy stuff instead of the junk. I exercise, which I’ve also learned to love. I pay attention to what my doctors tell me and implement their suggestions. I’ve had cancer once, I’m not getting it again. And I’m doing everything in my power to ensure that when I’m old & gray and I’m also healthy & active.

How about you? Are you making excuses or are you making plans?


Contact Lisa at
203.972.3447

No comments: