A Matter of Balance: A Woman's Quest for Health, Harmony & Kick-ass Heels


Monday, January 23, 2012

A K & P adventure of a different sort: Breaking the pattern

Pina & I in the lobby of Feinstein's


 
In our quest for adventure, Pina and I have tackled  the heights of zip lining, the waves of surfing, the spotlight at halftime at the Big East Tournament, but this month we decided on an adventure of a different sort. 

Our parameters are broad.  It could be something we've never done, a place we've never been, it doesn't really matter as long it provides a new experience.  After all isn't life simply a collection of experiences?

So last night we headed to Park Avenue in NYC  to Michael Feinstein's swanky Loews Regency Night Club.

Now I've never been there, so that makes it an adventure already.   In fact, I'm sure I've never been to anything remotely resembling the description on their website  -  "next generation of great supper clubs."

But hey it was a chance  to dress up, sip wine, enjoy scrumptious appetizers (the flat bread was heaven!!) and listen to the beautiful sounds of Caroline Jones. You can check out her music here.  The evening was just lovely (and complements of Mr. Paul Tudor Jones I should add.  Thank you Mr. Jones!). 

The real adventure however, involved breaking a pattern.  You see, this event didn't even start until 8:30 pm.  In New York City.  On a Sunday night.   Not only is a late night like that way past my bed time, but on a school night to boot!   

By 8:30 pm on Sunday nights I'm tucked into my flannel pj's, buried in the Sunday paper, or maybe a basket of laundry.  But putting on my party shoes and heading to Manhattan.  Uh, no.

How many times do we label ourselves, our habits?  Like, "I don't go out on Sunday nights."    Someone in fact used that very line when I mentioned where I was headed.   

What's your label?   What is the pattern that you wouldn't consider breaking.  I challenge you to reconsider.  

Then break the pattern.  Maybe not all the time, but just once. 

I'm glad I broke the pattern and went out on school night for a bit of an adventure, even if it means I  may need a second cup of coffee this afternoon.  New venue, new artist (buying her CD today!), new friends, and did I mention the flat bread?








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been absent for a while, but now I remember why I used to love this blog. Thank you, I will try and check back more frequently. How frequently you update your site?
Alesis DM10X Kit Premium, Six-Piece Electronic Drumset

Kristen Hallett Rzasa said...

Thanks for reading Jon! I try to update twice a week (and am hoping to increase that). Been out of commission for the last two weeks though.
Best,
Kristen