A Matter of Balance: A Woman's Quest for Health, Harmony & Kick-ass Heels


Friday, August 12, 2011

Another K & P advenuture... in beading




Last night we embarked on another K & P adventure.  This time it was beading.  I know, it's much more docile than  previous adventures like surfing, zip lining, and horseback riding.   There were no anxiety attacks beforehand, no sweaty palms, and we certainly aren't sore this morning.

However, we are two self-proclaimed, non-crafty gals, so it was indeed an adventure of sorts. 

When I was growing up my closest childhood friend, Beth,  and I would lament to one another "what should we play today?"  Beth (who by the way is still a close and crafty  friend and I hope she's reading this) would exclaim, "Let's make things!"

I would groan.  Making things was just not my forte.

Beth's Barbies would be adorned in beautiful homemade gowns with rouching and trim and my Barbie would be sporting a wrap dress made out of Kleenex.  You get the picture.

So, when Pina and I embarked on our beading adventure we didn't know what results to expect.

Turns out it was fun.  We could both get hooked on this craft.  Our instructor, Erin, taught us about crimping and closures and the like and we both came home with darling little braclets. 

Here's what I realized: 
  • You don't have to be skilled at something to give it a try.  Think you can't sing?  Roll down the windows and belt out a tune.  Think you have two left feet?  Get out on the dance floor and shake your booty.
  • It doesn't matter if it's good, it matters that it's yours.  My bracelet won't be winning any awards, but when I look down at it, I know it's my handiwork.
  • Girl time does a soul good.  After a rough week, I found beading to be relaxing.  The spinach and artichoke dip and wine which we enjoyed at an outdoor table in hip SoNo also helped, as did all of our chat in the "Girl Zone."
  • And finally, when beading, bring your reading glasses if you wear them. Those suckers can be small!
What adventure will you embark on today? 

Stay tuned for more K & P adventures and we'd love to hear YOUR suggestions for our upcoming adventures.


Finished products: Pina (left), Kristen (right)




No comments: