A Matter of Balance: A Woman's Quest for Health, Harmony & Kick-ass Heels


Sunday, July 03, 2011

Freedom & a serving of cole slaw - it must be the 4th!

Photo from here

This weekend I'm finishing up packing for China in between enjoying the usual holiday and family 4th of July festivities.

As I pack, I can't help but wonder how my perspective on freedom, the essence of this holiday, will be impacted during this trip.  Exploring and seeking to understand, or at least getting a glimpse into, another culture, especially one with such vastly different politics, is one of the wonders of traveling.


When I think of my own independence, I initially think of things I've done that I'm proud of, things like: 
  • Buying my first home on my own
  • Traveling solo to places like the Baltic Sea or camping & rafting down the Colorado river 
  • Leasing my first commercial space and diving full time into the entrepreneurial life
Then I think about women who live quite different lives in other lands who do not have such opportunities.  I remember experiences such as visiting the Museum Haus am Checkpoint Charlie, a museum dedicated to the Berlin Wall. Story after story of those trying to escape over the wall amazed me as I thought of the many freedoms I enjoy.  

So while I celebrate my nephew's birthday, spend time with my family, and of course attend the traditional Rzasa 4th of July with the summer blend of cole slaw, I remember how the independence I enjoy has shaped my life.

Whatever independence means to you, this weekend, be grateful for your freedom.

No comments: