A Matter of Balance: A Woman's Quest for Health, Harmony & Kick-ass Heels


Friday, July 06, 2012

Unplugging for a solo adventure




 Why is it so hard to unplug?  

Since I generally work on the mornings of most holidays, like the 4th, I decided to try something radical and take the following day (yesterday) off. 

I mean really OFF.

About two years ago I cut my six day a week work schedule down to five days a week. It was revolutionary.   I spent that extra day learning routines, catching up on paperwork in my home office and then filled the rest of the day with chores, the usual stuff.  It didn't occur to me that while I wasn't actually going into work, I was still working.  Of course some of it was that day to day stuff that's necessary to keep our heads above water, but even so, I was totally plugged in, on top of and "managing everything."  



What would happen if I put the out of office responder on the email and took the day off.

NOTHING.

I decided to take a solo adventure and escape to the NY Botanical Gardens, some place I'd only seen in movies, despite being only 40 miles from  my home.  Plus it's only $10 if you just want to spend the day on the grounds, but I splurged for the $20 pass so I could see the featured Money exhibit (which I adored).



I disappeared for a few hours amid the beauty of the gardens, soaking up the sunshine.  With no agenda I could write, sit and take loads photos of flowers. 

It was heavenly.  And even though I see there are lots of emails in my inbox and a stack of dirty laundry,  it will all still be there this morning, while I immersed myself in an afternoon of bliss.




No comments: