A Matter of Balance: A Woman's Quest for Health, Harmony & Kick-ass Heels


Friday, June 29, 2012

Unexpected Rewarding Challenge

Our lovely intern, Ashley, is the guest blogger today.  Post your comments and let her know what you think of her blog post and her challenge!

 

If you’ve been paying attention to celebrity activists lately, you may find that veganism is becoming more popular. Ellen DeGeneres, Portia de Rossi, Lea Michele, and many more have chosen to take part in this lifestyle for many different reasons, ranging from their love for animals to wanting to eat healthier. Twenty-seven days ago, I decided to take the 30-Day Vegan Challenge, to challenge myself and see if I could complete what seems to be a very daunting task.
Some of my friends used the words “crazy” and “impossible” in response to this news. The one question that seemed to stay persistent was, “Well, where are you going to get your protein?” Although I do understand where this question is coming from, I found it to be a very uneducated question. We are taught that meat is our biggest supplier of protein, but if you do just a little bit of research you will find that soy, nuts, and beans are just some of the ways to get protein.
I never go into a challenge without basic research. I knew that this challenge would have a direct impact on my health and wellness and spent many hours in the library and on the computer finding ways to get all of my nutrients. I found so many cool and creative recipes that I never would’ve thought of. One being cooked grapefruit with cinnamon sugar on top. I love grapefruit, but it never crossed my mind to cook it in an oven. Whole Foods has also been a helping hand in this experience. They have a wide selection of vegan foods. On my last visit I picked up a vegan pizza and I would definitely recommend at least trying it.
This challenge hasn’t been all fun and games though. During this challenge I have missed one ingredient especially, eggs. The taste and smell of a freshly cooked egg for breakfast cannot be replaced, however when you are cooking or baking there are many alternatives for eggs. This past Father’s day for example, I cooked my dad a vegan breakfast in bed. When the pancakes called for an egg, I replaced it with a banana. I have also read that applesauce works. I also, made French toast and a fruit salad. Now, I know what you may be thinking, how can you make french toast without egg. I used a mixture consisting of soymilk, cinnamon, and flaxseeds. One tip when using flaxseeds while cooking is make sure you use a non stick pan and vegetable oil or margarine, because they do get sticky.
Although my 30 days are almost over, I may just stick with this new lifestyle. This past month, I have felt so much better about myself and seemed to have more positive and energetic days. If you’re looking for a change in your daily routine, I would recommend trying this, if not for a month, for a week. Being a vegan is not for everyone and no should feel pressure to become one. As the last days roll in I realize that I have learned so much more than I ever planned. I learned that not only can I be a vegan, but also that I have the willpower to commit to something difficult and stick with it. Change is not always bad and challenges don’t have to be gruesome.

So take a challenge, make a change in your life, and you may end up learning more than you planned!
Ashley Volkens

No comments: