A Matter of Balance: A Woman's Quest for Health, Harmony & Kick-ass Heels


Thursday, September 13, 2012

Back to basics



For over twenty five years I've had back issues.  Sometimes it's been pretty bad!

It was a series of unfortunate mishaps from a few cheerleading stunts gone astray (thought those guys were supposed to CATCH you!), to a bad sledding accident that landed me in the hospital (the call no mother wants to get after sending their kid off to school, however I'm proud to say I was, in fact, wearing clean underwear just like mom always warned.)

My first job out of college was a desk job and at times I could barely stay in my seat. I often had the feeling of wanting to crawl out of my skin.

I saw sports doctors, orthopedists, chiropractors, and endured multiple tests.  I was told it's just something I'll have to live with.

Despite the pain, I decided to join my mother at Jazzercise.  Though I had always been active, Jazzercise classes included a specific strength training section complete with targeted ab work.  Lo and behold...it worked! The stronger the abs, the better the back.

I learned a few lessons through that experience.

  • Don't settle for "you'll just have to live with it."   Keep looking for solutions.
  • Keep moving in whatever way you can.  It was hard for me to keep it low impact when I started as a Jazzercise customer, the music just made me want to jump up and shake my groove thang (whatever that is.)
  • Listen to your body and heed the signs when it's time to slow down (as well as to pick up the pace) I'm not going to let anything keep me from living fully and staying active.

Lately this problem has reared it's ugly head in a big way.  I know if I'm patient, the solution will come and I'll be sure to be grateful for being pain free (funny how you don't think much about it UNTIL there's a problem).

In the meantime, I can walk through my Jazzercise classes, make sure I don't over do it, visit my awesome soft tissues chiropractor, do a little extra yoga, and wear clean underwear - just in case.

No comments: