A Matter of Balance: A Woman's Quest for Health, Harmony & Kick-ass Heels


Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Making a difference for good




I received the quote below in an email newsletter and it echoes a sentiment I truly believe.

It is not by accident that the happiest people are those who make a conscious effort to live useful lives. Their happiness, of course, is not a shallow exhilaration where life is one continuous intoxicating party.

Rather, their happiness is a deep sense of inner peace that comes when they believe their lives have meaning and that they are making a difference for good in the world.
- Ernest A. Fitzgerald



It also happened to fit with my day today. Today' was Soup Kitchen Day and I spent time at the  Norwalk Emergency Shelter  volunteering at the Soup Kitchen along with some ladies from my church, my mom and friend/customers Sandra. I've been going there for about nine years and really can say I feel like I've seen it all there!

There have been plenty of heartbreaking scenes and stories, and even though I know they'll never be reading my blog, out of respect, I won't share them. But there have been lots of laughs as well. The real message though, is that as much as I think I'm
making a difference for good in the world, I get a lot back in return.

Each time I leave there grateful for the blessings in my life and hopeful that I've contributed something positive to the world.

How will you make a difference for good today?


No comments: