A Matter of Balance: A Woman's Quest for Health, Harmony & Kick-ass Heels


Thursday, August 05, 2010

Change of plans & taking a break


I'm getting ready to head to the West Coast for some fun, so I definitely have play time on the brain right now.

I also had the rest of August pretty well mapped out, but had a big unexpected change in plans.


As the saying goes the best laid plans...


And now I have to be open & flexible to a change in plans for now (ooh, how I hate that!)


So, other than work, I'm faced with a fairly blank slate for a change. Rather than be frustrated (ok, I'm a little frustrated). I decided to embrace the change to take a break, maybe even play a little more.


In writing this I googled Taking a Break (actually I was just looking for a photo to use for this post, but nevertheless...) What did we ever do before Google?

I came up with this information on About.com .


Ten Tips for Taking a Break from Life

If you feel like you can hardly remember the last time you took a break, check the following ten tips to taking a break from life, reality and yourself. You are guaranteed to start to feel rejuvenated, revitalized and ready to take a real break sometime soon.
  1. Make a shopping trip especially for something new to wear which is bright, colorful and just perfect for breaks and vacations. Then leave right away and enjoy your purchase.

  2. Take a break from skipping lunch at work and making do with eating fast food. Instead, eat something simple, colorful, fun, exotic or with wild flavors and textures. Enjoy!

  3. Take one day out of your life and vow not to say a single word. Relax, enjoy the peace and silence.

  4. Take a break from routine. Drive to work a different way. Break your usual daily habits. Expect the very best all day and be ready for the unexpected.

  5. Dream a dream of your perfect break or vacation. Promise to put a little money aside regularly to make it happen. You'll be amazed of how easy and painless it is to do.

  6. Take a break from life as you know it by sitting down and being still for ten minutes. Close your eyes and relax. Let your thoughts come and go. Focus on your breathing. Allow your body to relax and your mind soar.

  7. Take a break from the image that you have of yourself and the image that you project. Just let yourself be whoever you feel like being in the moment. Give yourself permission to be you.

  8. Make a regular practice of stopping whatever you are doing and checking in with yourself to feel how, who and where you are in the moment.

  9. Take a break from reality. Look at a simple object, a flower, a tree, or a building. Imagine you are looking at it as if for the very first time.

  10. Take a break from barriers and boundaries. Do something you did not know you could. Overcome your fear and amaze yourself.
It gave me some good ideas and challenged me to come up with some of my own. While I'll still be working, I've decided not to work quite so much during the rest of August, and play a little bit more. Now I'm looking for some creative ideas and maybe some company too.


Anyone up for a play date?

1 comment:

lookoutmama said...

nice thoughts, Kristen! Sometimes you get so busy with all the things that you have to do that you forget how to relax and take a break !