A Matter of Balance: A Woman's Quest for Health, Harmony & Kick-ass Heels


Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Authentic Friendship


The last time my friend Beth and I got together was at her wedding three years ago. Before that it was another four years prior at my wedding.

Our friendship now spans 40 years. We've evolved through Barbies, bras, report cards, mortgages, recitals and career changes. During the course of our friendship I think we've lived in a combined total of eight states.

We met recently for lunch, margaritas and shopping when she drove down from LA to meet me while I was vacationing in San Diego. We picked right up where we left off.

We always do.

That is one sure fire sign of an authentic friendship. In catching up, the conversation is immediately real. We do not try to paint a perfect picture of our lives. We do not give all glowing reports about how wonderful everything is, like a Norman Rockwell Christmas letter (you know the ones!). 

We don't need to, because we know better.

Sometimes people put so much energy into projecting a particular image, they may miss out on an truly authentic relationship, conversation or moment.

I am grateful for true friendship and I know authentic friendship, like I share with Beth, is a gift.

It is good to be reminded of this, and so when we said good-bye, we agreed not to let another three years pass.

No comments: