A Matter of Balance: A Woman's Quest for Health, Harmony & Kick-ass Heels


Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Don't let "life get in the way"


Just about every day someone says to me some version of "I'd like to make my health a priority, have more energy, exercise, do more things I enjoy....(fill in the blank), but life just gets in the way, I'm too busy, things are crazy."

Hey, I get it.  I really do.  And I'm a work in progress just like you.  But since I'm hosting a daily radio show on balance, I got to thinking...what are the ways that you can maintain good health, do things you enjoy WHILST maintaining a busy schedule and juggling many demands.  So as I drove to work this morning, I decided to sort of analyze my day and see what choices I made to keep my eye on the prize, as they say.

Now, by no means do I do a perfect job of that every day.  And many of you will read this and say, what?  That's nothing.  You want to see busy?  I'll show you busy!   Today was a fairly typical day.  The only thing slightly out of the ordinary is that I don't usually eat both lunch and dinner out, so, even better to use today as an example of not "letting life get in the way."  I also didn't work as many hours as usual so I could celebrate my stepdaughter's 18th Birthday with her.  I no longer let work interfere with the most important stuff. 

So here's a quick recap of my Wednesday and how I tried to include healthy choices, balance, and create a day in alignment with what's important to me.

5:30 - 6:30 am - Meditate, read, catch up on Words with Friends
I've only been able to master meditating for about ten minutes.  It's a start.  Guided meditations work best for me and today I did Waking into the New Day with Aruni Nan Futuronsky. It meets my ten minute requirement and I have it easily accessible on my iPhone.  Today I used a little Scent of Samadhi which I LOVE and is so relaxing.  Reading is one of my favorite hobbies so I make sure I make time for it every day (I'm currently reading King Peggy in preparation for my trip to Ghana) and Words with Friends is my latest time suck, but it challenges my mindBy the time I start my day, I have already done things I really enjoy, so no matter what unfolds throughout the day, I've taken time for myself.
 
6:30 - 7:30 am - Get dressed, have breakfast, take supplements,  review routines for class, pack for the day

Had delish multi grain waffles with raspberries and coffee with coconut milk (I know - I get a big demerit for no protein this morning!), BUT the key here is PLANNING.  I packed two big water bottles PLUS a protein shake made with almond milk and chia seeds for my morning snack AND a container of fruit for an afternoon snack to ensure I had plenty of water and healthy snacks for the day.  I could NOT start the day without my supplements....took OPC 3, Vitamin D, Vitamin B complex, Omega 3, COQ 10

Packing for the day


7:30 - 8 am - Commute to work
I usually listen to The Morning Zoo on the way in to get my dose of pop culture news and a few laughs with Elvis Duran. 

8:00 am - General daily and administrative tasks at the studio

8:30 - 9:30 am Teach Jazzercise
Fortunately my job includes working out, but even when I'm not teaching I figure out where I'll work it in.  After all, it's only one hour, and you could do less if time is tight. Had my protein shake ready for after class.

9:30 - 11 am - Respond to emails, delegate projects to interns, social media and marketing tasks
What can I say, you gotta do the mundane stuff some time and as a biz owner you can't let a day go by without marketing.

11 am -Leave for quick early lunch with mom and friend/customer Sandra
Usually try to eat lunch at home, but chose an Asian salad with grilled chicken. And MORE water.

12 - 2 pm - Volunteer at Soup Kitchen
For me true balance always includes giving back. Plus we laugh A LOT!  You need a good sense of humor and a thick skin for this job. I also always leave with a profound sense of gratitude for all I have been blessed with in my life.

2 - 3 pm - Drop off mom and Sandra, head to radio station, prep for show, and answer emails, plus eat my fruit salad while returning texts from friends.
I find it most motivating to learn something new as often as possible.  Prepping for guests always brings new ideas and information for me to consider. And no matter what I'm doing, there's always time for a quick text to a friend.

3 - 4 pm - On air with A Matter of Balance

4:15 pm  Meet with coaching client on nutrition program
To save time and driving, we meet at a coffee shop right around the corner from the radio station and 'cause she was running late today, I got to enjoy some tea and quiet before the session started.  It's a cool atmosphere, I can sip tea and sit on couches which remind me of Central Perk from Friends. Might as well create the best environments possible for everything you do.

5:30 pm - Drive to Westport to meet up with hubby
More time in the car!  I'm usually in the car about an hour at day (at least!).  After the morning commute, I often listen to podcasts.  Some of my favorites are Cheryl Richardson, Tranquility du Jour and Kripalu Perspectives. You can find them all on iTunes for FREE.

6:00 pm Drive to Orange for family dinner to celebrate Megan's 18th Birthday
Time with family is ALWAYS a priority.  And the drive gave me and hubby time to catch up on our days.  Had some awesome salmon and veggies (plus some celebratory wine and five of us shared a dessert sampler, 'cause turning 18 is cause for a celebration). Plus two more big glasses of water.

9:15 pm HOME!  Time to soak in the tub!!  
Thrown in a load of laundry first, (always working in chores whenever possible),  then light the candles,  grab a stack of magazines (using the Seaweed and Arnica Foaming Bath tonight from my friend Sherrylee, perfect for sore muscles -- aaahh!)

Out of the tub...draft this blog, hang up the laundry to dry and slip into bed with my book for a few minutes of reading before crashing around 11 pm. 

All in all a fairly busy day, a shorter work day due to the Birthday celebration, plus no major crises today, but focused on healthy choices during the day, doing things I enjoy, and staying in alignment with the values that are most important to me. 

Believe me not all days go as smoothly but with some planning and conscious choices you don't have to let "life get in the way."






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WHOA KRISTEN! Just read this and I thought I was tired yesterday. You are a constant inspiration to me. So glad we met! And yes, yesterday laughs were needed at soup kitchen.
So glad we got to dance together this week. Glad you made it thru the day!!!!!
Xoxoxo
Sandra