A Matter of Balance: A Woman's Quest for Health, Harmony & Kick-ass Heels


Monday, June 11, 2012

Burgers & bonding



Over the weekend I was flipping through Whole Living Magazine and happened to see a quote that said something along the lines of burgers and hotdogs can be part of a healthy lifestyle. 

Ok, I know there are some of my nutrition friends out there that will strongly disagree. But I was happy to see some balance being promoted in this magazine.  Personally I went for over decade without eating any red meat (except mom or Grammy's meatballs), but then a friend convinced me to give the good ol' burger another try.

These days I usually opt for the turkey burger, but every now and then I get a little crazy and go traditional.

Perfect timing to encounter this article, as I was headed to Plan B Burger on Friday night.  Plan B serves beef that is 100% Certified Natural, with no antibiotics, no hormones, no fillers, no added colors, no chemicals, from farms that have undergone the strictest natural food certification in existence today, Certified Humane.

I actually still went for the turkey burger, but it is great to know that you don't have to completely ban a food choice or entire food group from your life, especially when you make informed, healthy choices.

Something else that I read that same day talked about fostering friendships with people who are both older and younger than you. I reflected on my own friendships and realized that this really is so important and I'm blessed to have friends of all ages.

We enjoyed our tasty burgers and lots of laughs with friends Becky & Mike.  With well over ten years between us, we are currently navigating the maze of sending a child to college and watching her become a young adult, while they are preparing to welcome their first child into the world.  We're at very different points in our lives,  but we have so much to share and learn from one another.

Burgers and bonding...can't think of a better Friday night!








No comments: