A Matter of Balance: A Woman's Quest for Health, Harmony & Kick-ass Heels


Friday, December 30, 2011

The big & the small: In 2011 I.....

A few  moments in 2011


This is the weekend everyone reflects on the highlights of the year.  Many of us have our year end rituals.  We celebrate the highs, vow to move past the lows and look with promise to a fresh start.

This morning while journaling, I began a list of 100 things I am grateful for in 2011 (a tip from Fabienne Fredrickson in one of her recent e-zines)  I'm still working on it and plan to finish the list tomorrow.


When I ponder the pieces that created the sum of my year, more than the adventures and events, I ask myself about the people woven throughout my year.  Have I been a good friend?  A decent boss?  A loving spouse?  A supportive step mother?  


In addition to nurturing my current relationships, I always wonder if I've made any new friendships during the year.


This year the answer was a resounding yes.  My life changing adventure to China this summer with the Yale Alumni Services Corp brought countless special people into my life.  From my 200 fellow travelers, to over 1300 students, to the countless others we met along the way, 


While it's unlikely I'll ever see any of the children again, there are without a doubt a few special people who I will always call friends.  And for that I'm especially grateful. 


The big and the small, here are a few things that shaped 2011 for me.


(in NO particular order)

  • Started wearing mascara
  • Climbed the Great Wall of China
  • Welcomed a new nephew into the world 
  • Made jam for the first time (blueberry) 
  • Tried my hand at fencing 
  • Mourned the loss of an amazing inspirational woman
  • Learned how to eat with chopsticks 
  • Skyped for the first time
  • Sipped tea at The Plaza 
  •  Watched my lovely stepdaughter go to the Prom
  • Went horseback riding
  • Read 50 books 
  • Performed at half time at the Big East tournament
  • Took the summer off from golf due to an elbow injury 
  • Went on National T.V. wearing a sports bra 
  • Met an incredible group of people from Yale 
  • Took a pizza making class 
  • Was a guest on a radio show (twice) 
  • Hosted a Little Black Dress party
  • Took Belly Dancing 
  • Dined by candlelight during Hurricane Irene
  • Was in a car accident (thankfully not my fault!)
  • Mentored a new instructor and said good bye to a few others
  • Became an OpZomist :)
  • Corresponded with two student pen pals from China 
  • Biked 42 miles in the Five Boro Bike Tour
  • Did yoga on the beach in Aruba
  • Launched a new website 
  • Received an iPad from my hubby and got hooked 
  • Got a great chair and ottoman for my office and finally ditched the old loveseat 
  • Started a regular meditation practice 
  • Tried Laughter Yoga during my annual retreat to Kripalu
  • Bought my own Reiki table 
  • Was on the cover of a magazine 
  
 

Year's end is neither an end nor a beginning but a going on, with all the wisdom that experience can instill in us. Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right.
- Oprah Winfrey 



Cheers indeed!


No comments: