A Matter of Balance: A Woman's Quest for Health, Harmony & Kick-ass Heels


Tuesday, February 15, 2011

When was the last time you....

...made a new friend?

This was a question I remember my boss asking  me many years ago.   I don't recall how the subject came up, but we were discussing how easily and often you make friends as a child, but that as an adult there seem to be fewer opportunities.  Or maybe it's just that we get settled and don't make an effort. Or we feel that we have all the friends we need. Or we're simply too old for that.

I remember thinking at the time that I didn't want to stop making new friends.  That I would always  make the effort, take the chance, or seize the opportunity.

Funny, that conversation took place probably twenty years ago, but it has always remained in the back of my mind and I think of it when I meet someone new and the relationship blossoms into a friendship.  It's even actually something I reflect on each year when I journal about the experiences of the previous year.  Inevitably I can almost always identify a new presence in my life, in fact several people come to mind as I write this.  

Last week I had the pleasure of being introduced to someone who I had been told I'd really hit it off with.  And we did.  It was one of those times when you make an inevitable and immediate connection with someone.  That's what making new friends is about.  We had a great lunch (plus yummy lavender mint tea), and really wonderful conversation.  BUT you have to make the time.  It's always easier to look at a full schedule and long to do list and decide to eliminate those things that require a little extra effort. Try it though.  It just might be worth the effort.  I know it was for me.



Old friends are good too! 

Kristen & Beth circa early 70's

No comments: