A Matter of Balance: A Woman's Quest for Health, Harmony & Kick-ass Heels


Monday, February 21, 2011

I Wants a Piece of Calico.....

Nanny and her girls in Newport News 2007

After getting up this morning to see the snow falling and making the necessary arrangements to cancel the morning classes , I brought my coffee back to bed to read and meditate before jumping into this 'snow day.'  

Nanny at her 100th Birthday Celebration (2006)
I began thinking of Nanny today, the third anniversary of her death, and the many memories, even little things, like her recitation of her favorite silly poem.  When we "played school" we would practice it all the time. When you think about it,  memorizing (especially a poem) is really a lost art.   I mean who memorizes anything these days with the internet at your fingertips and in your pocket?  

Believe it or not I can still recite almost the entire thing, and some days I can't even remember what I had for breakfast!  I even made mention of it in the piece I wrote for her funeral mass (see my original post ) 

So this morning I pulled out my very worn copy of the poem to share, written on yellow legal paper in pencil in Nanny's beautiful Catholic school penmanship.  

There are much bigger memories and momentous occasions, but sometimes it's the littlest things that stick with you.

Mattie's Wants and Wishes

I wants a piece of Calico
To make my doll a dress
I doesn't want a big piece
A yard will do I guess

I wish you'd fred my needle
and find my fimble too
I have such heaps of sewing
I don't know what to do

My Hepsie tord her apron
In tumbling down the stairs
An' Caesar lost his pantaloons
He needs a nuzzer pair

My Maude must have a bonnet
She hasn't none at all
Fred must have a jacket
His ozzer one's too small

I want to go to Grandma's 
You promised me I might
I know she'd like to see me 
I wants to go tonight

She lets me wipe the dishes
And look in Grandpa's watch
I wish I had a penny
To buy some butterscotch

I need some newer mittens
I wish you'd knit me some
My fingers alomost freezes
They leak so at the fum

I wore them out last summer
Pullin' George's sled
I wish you wouldn't laugh so
It hurts me in the head

I wish I had a cookie 
I'm hungry as can be
If you haven't got a large one
You'd better bring me free

I wish I had a piano
Won't you buy me one to keep
Oh dear I'm so tired
I wants to go to sleep



 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey kristen it carolyn morrison!! i love this post. its adorable :) she was a wonderful woman ! ! ! :D

Kristen Hallett Rzasa said...

Thanks Carolyn. Be sure to show it to your Grandma!

Love you.
K

Susan Barr Aguilar said...

Hello.... Funny thing my mother 90 years old taught this to me when I was a child from memory and I taught it to my daughter who is now 40. My mother remembers it was in a brown book embossed with children on the cover in a frame in the middle. She said there were several good ones...but remembers only this and another " when I was at a party..."

Do you know of any others? She would love to know! Thanks, susanbarrag@ gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you will ever read this since you posted it so long ago. I wanted to find this poem, and here it is. My Grandma Perry also recited this poem, as well as many others. My mother carried it on for me. I can recite the first few verses, and did so for my daughter, who is now grown, with children of her own. I wanted to find the poem because I am putting together a 90th birthday celebration for my mother. Thanks so much. I will treasure this, forever. Joellyn

Kristen Hallett Rzasa said...

Josellyn. So glad you found the poem here.
I will forever associate with my grandmother . Blessings!