A Matter of Balance: A Woman's Quest for Health, Harmony & Kick-ass Heels


Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Lure of the List






I am list obsessed. I can't remember a time when I haven't had a list within arms reach. I suppose I could track it back to 1996 when I received my first Franklin Covey planner from the consulting firm I worked for at the time, but that just gave me an excuse to expand the lists and a nice faux leather case to swaddle them in.

The topics for my lists come in all shapes and sizes, from the mundane (Daily to do, Items I always buy at Costco) to the bucket list variety (Places I'd like to visit, Adventures I'd like to have).

They span both past (Books I've read {since '93}, Countries I've visited) and future (Books I'd like to read, Movie to see).

Then there's my favorite - 100 Things To Be, Do, or Have, which always offers up a bit of inspiration on a rainy day. And five years later I still have my 40 Things to do in my 40th Year, just because.

I have even been known to add something to the list AFTER it's complete JUST so I can cross it off. I suppose there's a 12 Step Program for this or perhaps TLC will be doing a reality series on The Lure of the List which will air right after Extreme Couponing.

Some are designed to keep me organized like my Project lists (categorized by short & long term and business & personal, of course). Others are simply designed to aid my pre-menopausal memory (Gifts to buy & Wines I'd like to try).

They are a means to catalog and create, and sometimes they are a simply a reminder of my options, of what's possible.

And anything that evokes hope and possibility is not a habit I plan to break anytime soon.

Now I'm off to cross 'write blog post' off my list.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: