A Matter of Balance: A Woman's Quest for Health, Harmony & Kick-ass Heels


Tuesday, April 20, 2010

What's your excuse?




In the fitness industry we hear a lot of excuses as to why people don't exercise. I know how it is. I've made my own share of excuses when something I want to achieve seems too difficult or daunting.

Do you frequently use excuses to get yourself out of doing what it takes to reach
your goals?

Any of these sound familiar?


“I don’t have time.”
“I don’t like to sweat.”
"I have kids with busy schedules."
“I feel claustrophobic when I’m out of breath.”
“The rest of my family would never eat that.”
“Then I’d have to shower before I go to work.”
“I have to travel a lot in my line of work.”
“My shins hurt when I do that.”
“I have asthma.”
“I get a rash when I do that.”
“Then what do I do with all those sweaty clothes?”
“I’ll start Monday.”
“I’ll start the first of the year.”
"I have bad knees."
“I’ll focus on that next year.”

Lots of people talk about making a change. But when it comes right down to doing the hard work or making the tough decisions, they prefer to offer excuses as to why they continue living their lives just as they are.

This applies to any life changes, not just your health.

I know for me it comes up sometimes in business. For example, prior to opening the Jazzercise Fitness Center, I operated out of a church hall. A commercial space was out of my price range. Fairfield County prices were just unattainable. There's a small profit margin in this industry. Get the picture. I had a long list. AND I might add, all true statements, right?

BUT I realized (with the help of a fabulous biz coach) that I was a victim of my own excuses. I would never find a space if I continued to operate with this mindset and let the excuses take the forefront.


Whether it's making a career change, a relationship change, or changes in your health habits
don’t be a victim of your own excuses. If you keep doing what you've always done, you'll keep getting what you've always gotten!

We've all heard the famous quote "Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results." It just isn't going to happen.

So ditch the excuse and make the change.

No comments: