A Matter of Balance: A Woman's Quest for Health, Harmony & Kick-ass Heels


Monday, August 10, 2009

If you're not feeling good........change direction!



We can experience optimal health and well being when our own mind, body & spirit are in balance. I am always amazed how much we boss our bodies around. We skimp on sleep to get more done, we accept every invitation that comes our way to fill our time, or maybe to appear busy and important. We eat empty calories because we make mindless choices, and we skip exercise, well, just because sometimes that's the easiest choice.

When you REALLY think about it, there aren't a lot of "have to's" in our lives.

Fortunately there is a lot of choice.

What are you doing TODAY to nurture your body?

One of my absolute favorite rituals is the bathtub, hence the picture of the very cool bathtub above...no, unfortunately that's not my tub. This is a place I make a point of retreating to every week. It's a chance to slow down. I've found it's impossible to rush around or to multitask when you're in the tub (although soaking and going through a stack of magazines is approved multi-tasking!).

I try to make a visit to the bathtub at least once a week. Lots of bubbles, candles, a glass of ice water, or sometimes wine...and just the simple stillness of allowing myself to SLOW DOWN.

But as we all know, life gets in the way sometimes. I'll put it off until tomorrow, or decide I just can't spare even 30 minutes because there are so many other things I think I "have to do". But in it's infinite wisdom, your body will somehow give you the message that you need to slow down. Mine does. And I'm sure yours does too, but be sure to listen!

So if I find I'm bossing my body around, taking on too many commitments (even if some of them are 'for fun'), not sleeping enough or eating right, I know it's time for a good long soak.

If you're not feeling good........change direction!

No comments: